The geological group
The story of geological research in Israel
The geological group was founded by us: People who shared the love for the land, the sea and the earth, and carved their scientific path with imagination and curiosity, while shaping the Israeli geological narrative.
The documentation project gathers the personal stories that form the geological group.
The IGS is grateful to the following institutes for their support and contributions to IGS activities:
• The Geological Society of America: http://www.geosociety.org
• The Geological Society of London: http://www.geolsoc.org.uk
• Geological Society of Australia: http://www.gsa.org.au
• Geological Association of Canada: http://www.gac.ca
• Geological Survey of Israel: http://www.gsi.gov.il/eng
• Geophysical Institute of Israel: http://www.gii.co.il/
• Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research: http://www.ocean.org.il/MainPageEng.asp
• Dead Sea and Arava Science Center: https://www.adssc.org/en/
• United States Geological Survey: http://www.usgs.gov
• Institute of Earth Sciences, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem: https://en.earth.huji.ac.il
• Geological & Environmental Sciences department, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev:
• Porter School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, Tel Aviv University:
• Leon H. Charney School of Marine Sciences, University of Haifa: http://marsci.haifa.ac.il/index.php/en
• The Interuniversity Institute for Marine Sciences in Eilat: https://iui-eilat.huji.ac.il
• Department of Geography and Environment, Bar Ilan University: https://geoenv.biu.ac.il/en
• The Quarry Rehabilitation Fund: http://www.kasham.org.il
• Harvard Seismology: http://www.seismology.harvard.edu
• USGS Earthquake Hazards Program: https://earthquake.usgs.gov
• Israel Fossils Recognition Guide: http://www.fossil.org.il
• Israel Association of Water Resources: http://www.eyal-water.org
Welcome to the Israel Geological Society (IGS) Website. The IGS Website contains information, photographs, and different materials protected by copyright law, and owned by IGS, or presented with the permission of the copyright owners. Copyrights of the photographs presented in the IGS Website belong to their owners. Detailed information can be found on The Photo Contest page. Website users and visitors are kindly requested to respect these copyrights.
Services and information provided by the IGS website can be used as they are. The IGS is not responsible for any claims, demands or arguments made regarding its services or limitations of its services. Therefore, using the IGS website is under the sole responsibility of each user or visitor. The IGS will not be responsible for any direct or secondary damage, financial or other, that might be caused by the use of and/or reliance on information appearing in the IGS website.
The IGS allows users to view pages on its website, read the information in these pages, and even save their content for private, non-commercial use only. Any other use must include a reference to the information source and have an attached link to the IGS website. Users are not permitted to change, copy, or distribute IGS website content, unless the IGS has formally agreed in writing to do so. News and events, as well as any other information that is updated regularly in the IGS website, are merely presenting general information. Fees, registration terms, and other costs and information related to The IGS Annual Meeting are occasionally updated, and the actual fees might differ from the fees presented on the website. For updated fees please contact the IGS office.
Copyrights and intellectual property of the website, including the domain name, website design, content, graphics, and any other materials included in the IGS website, belong solely to the IGS. Do not copy, distribute, present in public, or give a third party any of the aforementioned property of the IGS, unless permission was given by IGS board in writing and in advance.
The IGS reserves the right to change the structure of the website, the services provided on the website, and any other related aspects. These changes might cause some inconvenience and/or disturbance in website activity. The IGS is not responsible for any claims, demands or arguments made regarding changes in the website or disruption of website activity.
Website use is under the laws of the state of Israel alone.